may 12: satisfied

think about it

I shall be satisfied with Thy likeness—satisfied, satisfied. (Charles Wesley)

back it up with bible

Psalms 17:15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.
Psalms 36:7-9 How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures. For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.
Psalms 63:1-8 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

core christianity

Satisfaction Without God?
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.” Revelation 21:3 Ask yourself this question: if God was not in Heaven, would you still consider it paradise? In Revelation 21:3 we are told that God will make his dwelling place with man, but what if he didn’t? Would you be satisfied throughout eternity if you were able to have food, comfort, and peace, but not God?
How you answer that question reveals how you understand your life’s purpose. We were not created for food or for comfort or for peace or for any other thing. We might enjoy them, but they are not the purpose and goal of our lives. We were created for God – to enjoy him, to glorify him, and to be children of his love and grace.
I wonder how many people claim to follow God out of a desire to receive his benefits rather than a desire to receive him. But we were created for him; we need to live for him. We need to fix him at the center of our affections, the center of our desire, the center of our delight. We enjoy the blessings of life because we know they come from God. We will enjoy the peace and delights of Heaven because God will be with us. So delight in the Lord even now. Rest in him now. Glorify him now. He is your life’s purpose, both now and in eternity. (Chris Roberts)

previously published

Spiritual thirst can only be satisfied by Jesus, as He explained to the Samaritan woman at the well: “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water. … Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but … the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life” (John 4:10,13-14). Jesus’ words are life (John 6:63). (The Search’s End)

Still my spirit, Lord, so that You can then fill it;
Fill it with all the goodness and power and wisdom of You.
I don’t want to leave this place with just a few drops in me,
Or being a quarter full, or half full‚ or even “almost” full.
Still me long enough that I will receive all that I need,
That I will stay open as You pour in everything I crave,
Every ingredient to combine for the perfect beverage,
That I may go from here and pour it out to others.
I have nothing to give them‚ nothing to quench their thirst with,
Unless my pitcher has been filled by You first.
I know they are thirsty, and I want to slake their thirst‚
But I am thirsty too‚ and my thirst must be quenched.
It is a thirst that cannot be satisfied in a day, or a lifetime,
For I will always and forever long and yearn to drink You in.
So I come to You today, and every day‚ and throughout each day.
I come to drink You in‚ and You nourish me.
I know I need You, and I want You with everything in me.
It’s just the sitting still that sometimes gets to me.
And as much as my heart wants it, carnality tries to pull me away.
I know I need sustenance and refreshing of spirit,
Yet sometimes I leave having had only a few sips,
When I could have drunk in cup after cup after cup.
So still me and quiet me today, and keep me here with You
Until I am complete; thirst slaked‚ pitcher filled, mission accomplished.
(Foundations Of Faith--Hymns, Poetry, And Testimonies Of Faith For Feast 2007)

make it personal

Do I have You in the right place in my life, Jesus? How can I give you more of my time and attention?